Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Baking Spree

A few months ago, I came across this on Pinterest. The cute flowers caught my attention and I've been meaning to try it out since I pinned it. However, it seems the only cookies we bake over here are chocolate chip cookies. We need to branch out. 
So I did! First off, I started by making my sugar cookie dough. I used this recipe for my cookies, but I know there are a million great recipes out there for sugar cookies. Next I pulled out all my sprinkles. I had a set of red, blue, yellow, and green, as well as a bit of pink, some pearls, and some multi colored "ice cream" sprinkles. I also pulled out some cinnamon and sugar to make some snicker doodles.
One of the test cookies - rolled in the ice cream sprinkles.
I was worried about the sprinkles melting and sticking/catching on fire (or at least getting really smokey) so I started with a test batch. I rolled 5 one inch balls and rolled them each in different sprinkles. 3 of the colored sugar, one of ice cream sprinkles, and one of the pearls. I did cut 2 of the colored sugar sprinkle cookies into flowers, but they did not turn out that cute for me and I thought the non cut cookies came out super cute anyway. 
I baked the cookies at 375 for 7 1/2-8 mins. The cookies were done, but still soft and I didn't have any problems with the sprinkles. I did not get any pictures of my test batch because my kiddos ate them all! "Mommy, can I have a cookie." "Sure" turn around to get more cookies in the over and turn back around and the two of them had eaten all 5 cookies. But they said they were good. :) 


 But I did get some pictures of the other cookies I made. 


 Cookies with the ice cream sprinkles - these were the only ones I had any trouble with sticking. But they weren't bad.






Here are my snicker doodle cookies. They happen to be one of my favorite cookies. And they are delicious! I ran out of the cinnamon sugar mix I had so I didn't make too many. I was just too lazy to mix some cinnamon and sugar together myself. ;)



The colored sugar ones. I didn't have a lot of pink or green so I ended up mixing the two together to use the last of it. I thought they might mix together and make an ugly color, but the color stayed separate, so I tried the yellow and blue mix. I'm excited to do this for Christmas and for any future parties. You can easily pick the color combos to fit your theme!





And lastly, the pearls. They look adorable! I only made a couple because it took so much of the sprinkles to cover them. In all honesty, these were not the best cookies. The sprinkles sort of taste like nothing. And they crunch weird. Cute, but not tasty!




Joshua also decided to get in on the baking action and made some peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips. Yummy! Overall we had way too many cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment