Saturday, November 17, 2012

Growing Up and 30 Days

     Today I'm feeling awfully sentimental. I look at my kids and just think "WOW." Really, I'm blown away.
     As long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a mother. Some people spend their whole lives trying to figure out "who" they are. Me, I know. I've known my whole life. I'm a mom. I was put on this Earth to raise these two amazing children. Yes, there are other things I have done, or want to do, but raising my kids is my core.
     Now onto my 30 days of Thankfulness. Every day on Facebook I've been focusing on one thing I am thankful for. It has been easy (because I have so much to be thankful for) and hard (because it is difficult to put into words just how thankful I am for what I have). But of course, posts get lost on Facebook and I want a record of this. So here goes - 
Day 1: I'm thankful for my husband. He stands by me when I need him. He works to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. I fall in love with him more every time I see him with our children. He really is my other half. I guess I could say my better half, because he makes me a better person. Him and I together are better. 
Day 2 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for my Emmalyn. She changed my world. She is beautiful, kind, funny, loving, sweet, creative, and so very intelligent. She is an amazing big sister. She lights up a room. She is growing up way to fast but I look forward to every new adventure with her. 
Day 3 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for my Bentley boo. He is a Momma's boy through and though. He is sweet, loving, handsome, smart, and so funny. He loves his big sister and tries so hard to do everything she does. My hair obsessed, kiss my boo boos, copy cat little man just melts my heart. I have to admit, I was terrified before Bentley was born. I knew I would love him (I already did), but I was afraid I wouldn't love him like I love Emmalyn. Oh boy was I wrong. 
Day 4 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for my Mom, my brothers, and my sister. They have been by my side at all times. We may not talk every day or see each other all the time, but they still feel like "home" to me. I'm not afraid to be myself. And despite all the negative things I've done, they still love and support me. And I'm thankful for my mother's boyfriend. He is family through and through.
Day 5 of Thankfulness: Today I am thankful for my in laws. Not only my mother and father in laws, who are amazing and I don't know where Joshua and I would be today without them, but also the entire family. I didn't know when I fell in love with Josh just how awesome his family is, but I should have since he is so awesome. :) They have always made me feel like family. I've never felt like an outsider butting in. 
Day 6: I'm thankful for my Dad and step-mom and entire extended family (on all sides). 
Day 7: I'm thankful for my friends. I can always count on them. They have had my back through the good and the bad. They are family to me as well. Despite being in separate stages of life, we are still able to connect. We talk or get together and it is like no time has passed. They care about my kids just like the aunties they are. 
Day 8 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for the snow. I don't like snow or cold at all for that matter. But the look of wonder on the kids' faces when they looked out the window made it worth it. And taking the kids out and watching them play with and explore the snowy yard just gave me a new fondness for it. But I'm also thankful that our first snow melted. ;) 
Day 9 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for learning from mistakes and getting second chances to do it right. I have made a lot of mistakes, but that's ok. I believe I have learned a lot of valuable lessons. Sometimes we don't get a second chance when we make mistakes, so I consider myself very lucky. 
Day 10 of Thankfulness: I am thankful that I am able to be a full time stay at home mommy. I'm thankful to be able to fulfill my life's dream. I value every moment I get with my children. I'm thankful to be able to sit and read with them multiple times during the day. I'm thankful to be able to kiss their boo boos. I'm thankful to be able to deal with fighting and tantrums. I'm thankful to be able to watch the love between them grow each day. It isn't always easy but it is always worth it.
Day 11 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for all those who serve our country. Thank you for your sacrifices. Those who serve our country are the greatest heros.  The men and women in the Army, Navy, Air Force, etc as well as those in the police force, fire fighters, and other emergency responders. 
Day 12 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for baby powder. Poor Bentley has a history of bad rashes.  I thought we were in the clear after eliminating strawberries, but it is back. I can not pin point it to one food/type of food or his wipes. Baby powder is the only thing giving him any relief.
Day 12 of Thankfulness (part 2 - because I can): I am also thankful for spilled milk. I'm thankful for the learning going on as my children drink from a cup, and navigate their plates/food/utensils while trying to avoid a spill. I'm also thankful for the lessons spilled milk teaches us. The kids learn that it's ok to make mistakes and to keep trying. I learn to relax, it is just a spill. And also to be aware of how I approach a situation because I'm always teaching the kids how to approach life. It warms my heart to hear Emmalyn reassuring Bentley about his spilled milk. 
Day 13 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for 10 mins of quiet time before I have to get the kids up and ready to head to dance class. I'm also thankful that I was able to spend the morning sewing (got quite a bit done). I'm thankful for my pink seam ripper - much less frustrating to rip out messed up seams when I get to look at pink. And finally, I am thankful for washable glue. Despite taking place just 2 feet from me, I failed to notice my son happily "coloring" on the just cleaned, hanging to dry bathmat with a purple glue stick.
Day 14 of Thankfulness: Today I am thankful for hugs. A hug can mean anything - I love you, I'm sorry, You are not alone, I missed you, Have a good day, It's ok and more. A simple hug can change someone's whole day, or their whole outlook on things. My favorite hugs are the random ones my wonderful kids like to give out.
Day 15 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for the wonderful, sweet cashier at Walmart. Not only was she super friendly and helpful, but she gave both the kids a small sheet of stickers 
Day 16 of Thankfulness: I am thankful for Color wonder. :) I think the paints are just about as messy as regular paint (and harder to find) but I LOVE that the colors don't just mix and become that ugly brown color. I also LOVE the markers. They really are less messy than regular markers.
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment